Why are Spinning Rods Highly Rated by Anglers?
There are various types of fishing rods out there. However, spinning rods are the most popular and are highly rated by anglers. The fact that they’re a lot easier to use makes them great not just for experienced anglers but also for beginners taking up sportfishing as a hobby. Theyâre also very effective as they give you more control of your cast. In other words, they allow you to use your dominant hands to hold the rod and the non-dominant hand to reel in fish.
Here are some of the things to consider when choosing a fishing rod.
The Best Spinning Rods for 2020
1. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod – The Best Choice by a Mile
Spinning rods manufactured by Shakespeare are among the best as they’re designed with the angler in mind. One of the best spinning rods from Shakespeare is the Ugly Stik Elite, which is, without a doubt, the ultimate spinning rod that any angler could ever wish for. With over 17 different variations, you’ll only spend below $100 but you’ll have a rod that can work best in almost any type of situation in terms of power, length, action and many more.
Although its wide variations may put some people off, it allows you to find something ideal for you. This is a spinning rod that you should consider going for if you’re looking for fun and memorable fishing trips as it gives you durability, effectiveness, and top performance.
- Strong and sturdy thanks to the combination of fiberglass and graphite
- Very durable
- Offers a comfortable cork grip handle
- It is lighter yet more sensitive
- Comes with a 7-year warranty
- More expensive than other models
- The line guide may become problematic after some time
2. KastKing Perigee II Fishing Rod – The Most Versatile Option
What would you expect from a spinning rod that gets you two rods for a price of one? When you choose the Perigee II, you’ll get two spinning rods with different power actions and this is ideal if you love being versatile while out there on the water. In other words, this spinning rod allows you to swap tips to suit your fishing situation.
Made with carbon fiber and graphite, this spinning rod is lightweight and has the unique Fuji O-ring that will ensure that your fishing line doesn’t break even when in a tug of war with the most belligerent of fish.
While the innovation and versatility of its twin-tip stand out, the Perigee II is made with quality components to offer great fishing performance at an absolutely affordable price.
- It is lightweight and extremely balanced
- It is designed with high-quality components such as the Fuji O-rings
- It is beautifully and innovatively designed with a modern touch
- Comes with twin tips for different actions and versatility
- Has a hook holder
- The twin tips come with a lifetime warranty
- The EVA foam on the handle is not as durable as a cork grip
3. Shimano Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rod – The Best Fast Action Rod
There are times when you do not want to fight the fish for so long and want something that reels in the fish as quickly as possible. So if you’re the catch-and-release type of angler, this spinning rod may be the perfect option as it is widely known as a fast action rod that will never let you down if you want to reel in fish quickly.
With its reputation in the fishing industry as a great brand, Shimano ensures that the Solora 2 has a full-length cork grip to give you room for adjustment when you want to bring in fish with a minimal fight. That’s not all; it medium power work so perfectly not to overpower your hooks sets when landing fish. This rod should be your ideal choice if you’ve been looking for something that will help you land fish without much fight.
- This is a fast action rod
- It comes with twin tip for versatility
- The cork grip gives you full-length adjustment
- Relatively affordable
- Very durable
- The reel seat is too picky
4. Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Fishing Rod – Excellent Value for Money
Another soul-satisfying spinning rod from Shakespeare, the GX2 offers incredible features at a surprisingly affordable price. Although it’s designed for tough conditions, it feels lightweight, it’s very durable, and offers you 23 astonishing variations.
If you’ve been looking for a really good spinning rod but cannot afford the Ugly Stik Elite, the GX2 may be the right rod for you. It’s lightweight, tough, very sensitive, and durable. Whatever the fishing conditions, this spinning rod will serve you diligently for a decade if not more.
- Strong and balanced thanks to its fiberglass and graphite construction
- Made with very durable and modern components
- It is designed for strength and sensitivity
- It is cheaper than the Ugly Stik Elite
- Comes with a seven-year warranty
- It is easy to assemble
- The EVA foam handle may not be very durable
- The eyelets may not work best with braided lines
- Its lock mechanism is faulty
5. Entsport Sirius 2-Piece Spinning Rod – The Sleekest Spinning Rod
Many anglers take up fishing as a hobby; something to help them wind down from their daily hassles. As such, they sometimes prefer using some of the sleekest gears that do not compromise on quality and performance. If you’re one such angler, then the Entsport Sirius 2 may be the ideal spinning rod for you. You’ll not only grab attention on the boat but you’ll also have a medium power band that works just perfectly.
In addition to its sleekness, this rod is durable and has a sturdy construction that’s great for reliable performance. Essentially, this is a lightweight and reliable rod that combines both durability and gorgeousness in one line.
- Offers medium-light to medium-heavy power action
- It is very durable
- It is quite affordable
- It is made with a carbon rod blank construction
- The stainless steel line guides are very reliable and rust-resistant
- The reel seat feels cheap
- May be inappropriate if you don’t like its color splashes
6. St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rod – The Most Durable Rod
If you’re looking for a very durable spinning rod that can work across the board even in catching the largest or toughest of fish, St. Croix Triumph may be the right answer. Made with graphite and a carbon wrap, this spinning rod has its strength enforced with a double coat of Flex Coats to ensure that it’s suitable for even the toughest of fishing conditions.
The very sensitive tip and cork grip make it highly functional. The rod may be limited in terms of length but this can work to your advantage if you’re unable to hold or balance longer rods.
This is essentially a highly durable yet very portable spinning rod that performs well without compromising weight and sensitivity. You should consider it if you’ll be spending a lot of your fishing time in rough waters.
- Very durable thanks to its twin Flex-coat finish
- The line guides are also very durable
- It is very sensitive even when a very small fish is on the line
- Very functional
- Perfect for rough water conditions
- It’s very short
- Assembling it is difficult as it comes in four pieces
- It’s one of the most expensive rods
7. Cadence CR5 30 – The Most Portable Spinning Rod
Thanks to its carbon-fiber composition and super lightweight features, the Cadence CR5 30 is the most portable spinning rod currently available in the market. We are talking about a spinning rod that has its heaviest variant at 4 pounds! The fact that it’s so light doesn’t compromise its functionality or durability.
This is a perfect spinning rod that works well in various fishing conditions. In fact, its stainless steel eyelets are uniquely designed with SIR inserts to help in reducing friction without affecting the rod’s sensitivity. As such, your line will rarely break even when conditions are rough.
It’s incredibly lightweight features means that you shouldn’t have any problem carrying the Cadence CR5 30 around during your fishing trips. Although the heaviest variant weighs about 4 pounds, it’s perfectly designed to catch even the heaviest of fish. Better still, the manufacturer makes a worthy donation for every rod bought.
- It is super lightweight for what it is
- Built to last
- The line guides are unique and durable
- Can catch all types of fish, both small and big
- It is very sensitive
- Its warranty is very short
- The reel seat is somehow loose
8. KastKing Royale Legend – Perfect for a Wide Range of Baits and Lures
One of the widespread challenges that anglers have to deal with is finding the most perfect baits and lures for all fishing conditions. After all, this is not possible given that what works today may not work tomorrow even in similar conditions. So what do you do as an angler? Well, you should have a variety of lures and baits in your tackle box. But how do you use these baits and lures perfectly? Consider going for the KastKing Royale Legend.
This is an excellent rod that works perfectly with almost all types of lures and baits. As an angler, this is the type of versatility that you need in your rod and the Royale Legend provides it at a very affordable price. Add this to its sensitivity and a mix of power action and you’ll be good to go.
- Pays attention to lots of crucial fishing details
- It has a very smooth power
- Can be used with all types of lures and baits
- Perfect for all water bodies
- It is quite affordable
- It is very sensitive
- Perfect for catching all types of fish
- The tip is not sturdy and can easily break off
9. Shimano FXS 2 Piece – The Most Basic Spinning Rod
If you’re looking for a simplistic spinning rod that could match any high-end rod all day every day, the Shimano FXS is the real deal. Popular with both beginners and experienced anglers, the FXS is not only a cheaper option but also remains unshaken no matter the fishing conditions or the type of fish at the end of the line.
Unlike most spinning rods that are made of graphite and fiberglass, the FXS is constructed using a tough aero glass material to make it durable, lightweight, and a breeze to use. Although this material may take time to get used to, it makes the FXS a great choice if you’re on a tight budget but still wants to get some proper catch.
- Very affordable
- Perfect for beginners
- Excellent for longer casting distance
- Very durable
- The reel seat fits perfectly
- It’s a very basic rod
- The aero glass material will take time to get used to
10. Fenwick HGM Spinning Rod – The Best Classic
Fishing can be a nostalgic hobby. So if you want to find a spinning rod that your grandpa used over 30 years ago, the Fenwick HGM could be a great alternative. Despite a few changes here and there, this spinning rod has been around for a very long time and can be a great choice if you want to go down the memory lane.
Today’s models are lightweight but still bring the durability of yesteryear models and that’s why they come with a lifetime warranty. It’s also made with strong materials such as the titanium framed guides and works as perfectly as any other modern spinning rod.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- The rod is long and great for long cast distances
- It has a 1 or 2 piece option
- It’s thinned down handle offers a comfortable grip
- Its fairly affordable
- It’s not perfect for beginners
There you have it; the best spinning rods that are currently available on the market. Hopefully, this list will help you make an informed choice when choosing the most perfect spinning rod for your fishing expeditions. After all, a great spinning rod can be the difference between going home with a trophy catch and ending the day empty-handed.